Friday, May 30, 2008

The problem with Compost


I'm gardening big time this year so I got my Yard Man to unearth the bottom of a years old compost heap for my corn patch.  He's such a dear and did it without any nagging from me.

I got out there in plenty of time before the rains and planted some corn, some beans and even some okra. When I saw the sprouts, there were locust trees germinating from beans that were composted years ago. ?!? The  little plant in the top photo growing tall and true? Yep, that's a tree.

There are lots of other things sprouting that I don't remember planting. I am not a bookkeeper. I am a digger and composter and waterer.

We'll see. The corn was a gamble, what with raccoons and partial shade. Primarily, I wanted to make a statement about growing food or to prove I could do it. I'm really crossing my fingers for the okra since I love the flowers (think Hibiscus) and the beans, well, beans aren't hard to find in the summer. Updates to follow.