Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Red Flag Warnings


The National Weather Service has posted a Red Flag Warning for most of Colorado in advance of a rain/snow event that arrives tomorrow:

SOUTHWEST WINDS THIS AFTERNOON WILL BLOW AT 20 TO 30 MPH WITH
GUSTS TO 45 MPH. THESE GUSTY WINDS COMBINED WITH TEMPERATURES IN
THE MID 70S TO LOWER 80S AND
RELATIVE HUMIDITIES FROM 7 TO 15 PERCENT WILL CREATE CONDITIONS FAVORABLE FOR EXTREME FIRE BEHAVIOR
THIS AFTERNOON AND INTO THE EARLY EVENING HOURS.

Aye Yi Yi! 7% humidity! I've been making sure to have plenty of water around the yard for all the Spring visitors we're having and today the fountains were set up. Don't get all excited...these are for the sounds and for the birds, not for the looks. The one in the picture is my favorite because it's a solar fountain. The photo was taken early morning with a spray about 3 inches high but now at mid-day, it's more like 6-8 inches high. It came with different nozzles but this is the one I can hear from my window. Plow and Hearth (on sale) was the source, but I don't think they carry them anymore.

Another fountain hidden behind the sage bush is simply a big stainless steel bowl that I had for kids' crafts. The smallest pump and some plastic hose stabilized with some decorative rock does the trick. Come to think of it, I got a cheap and tacky fountain deeply discounted at a grocery store one year, took it apart and used the pump that came with it for my first homemade fountain. It was cheaper than buying a pump at the hardware store.